I LOVE TO READ. I enjoy reading the material in most of my required social work books. For the past year and a half I have not always have the luxury of time to read as much as I wanted to when it came to going the extra mile -- and sometimes it was a challenge to keep up.
Now that I've quit my job to do the student thing full-time, theoretically I should have more time to read. I just need to re-train my brain and do it!
I decided I would set some reading goals:
1. Each week I will look at the syllabus and organize my reading assignments so I will know exactly what I need to read.
2. I plan to have a book with me at all times. When I go to field practice, I'll take one with me for lunch break. When I go to an appointment where I may have to wait (doctor, etc.), I will take one with me.
3. I will read all the required assignments and then see if I have time to add suggested readings, too. If not, no sweat, but if I have some spare moments, I will do it.
I am psyched about theory right now, and there is an abundance of literature out there to partake of.
I want to be the best clinician possible, and reading is a way to get there.
~Ms. T. J.
Welcome to The New Social Worker's Blog
The New Social Worker is the quarterly magazine for social work students and recent graduates, focusing on social work careers for those new to the profession. This blog is a companion to the free online magazine at http://www.socialworker.com.
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2011 (57)
- ► 2010 (63)
- Help for the helper
- Multi-Tasking or Multi-Slacking?
- One class, a clean house and lots o' reading!
- Today was ...
- When people leave
- But for the grace of God...
- Motivational Interviewing
- Reading goals
- Pulling a late-nighter!
- Strengths Perspective
- Do the deal
- Field (Feeled) Experience: Day I
- Four classes: four assignments
- Saturday night reflections
- First day of classes
- Gift from the sea
- Packing for the beach
- On books, parking tickets and other on-campus adve...
- T. J. and Julia
- Tech-Savvy Social Work
- ▼ August (22)
What book are you carrying around with you now? I'm always looking for recs on books, social work and otherwise, feel free to share!ReplyDelete
Thanks for asking! I just ordered "Seeking Safety" A Treatment Manual for PTSD and Substance Abuse by Lisa M. Najavits.ReplyDelete
~Ms. T. J.