Welcome to The New Social Worker's Blog

The New Social Worker is the quarterly magazine for social work students and recent graduates, focusing on social work careers for those new to the profession. This blog is a companion to the free online magazine at http://www.socialworker.com.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Writing down the bones

That's what I've been doing. I have been reading and writing about behavioral theories: you know the players -- Freud, Skinner, Rogers, Piaget and Vgotsky. We won't even talk about "where are the women?"

I want to say that I am all over it, as in -- I love this career. I feel lit up; on fire; passionate. I am exhausted --and giddy! I just wrote my last paper for the semester and I feel darn good about it.

--Ms. T. J.

"The deepest secret in our heart of hearts is that we are writing because we love the world ... let the whole thing flower ... and let us always be kind in this world" (Natalie Goldberg, Writing Down the Bones, p. 120).


  1. I can't wait to be this excited about school! I'm starting in the fall!

  2. I am excited for your excitement :) I have just started a B of Social Work (graduate entry) and feel more excited about this than my previous degree in journalism. Not quite at your stage yet though lol. Congratulations on getting that paper done.

  3. I'm looking to go in the social work field (I'm 36), and will like to know what classes should I take? I'm in my first year in college (community college) and I don't want to take classes that I don't need. Thanks

  4. Sgt., Charlie, and Anon-
    Thanks for the feedback.

    Anon: I suggest you set an appointment with an advisor on campus and discuss your options so that you can devise a game plan.

    I hope you enjoy the journey!
    --Ms. T. J.

  5. Anon,

    Take a look at http://www.cswe.org -- this is the Council on Social Work Education. The site lists schools that have accredited social work degree programs. One option would be to transfer to one of these schools to get an accredited BSW, and/or you could get your bachelor's (in social work or something else) and then go to one of these schools to get an accredited MSW. Your advisor can help you determine what classes you would need to take before transferring to a social work program, if transferring to a BSW program.